Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Thing 36: Comic Relief




I had to laugh when I did a keyword search for "library" cartoons on Toondoo. Recent postings . . . by Minnesota librarians . . . who were new to the site and only had one cartoon . . . sounds like "Thing 36" to me!

#1 favorite:

\Toon\

\Toon\

Favorite #2

And here's mine:

\Toon\



I borrowed the punch line from a friend's nephew, a real hellion and a seething mass of unstoppable energy, not too interested in reading -- or coloring! BTW, since he's from Texas, it's pronounced, "CRAY-oh-las." "Don't be givin' me no CRAYolas, cuz I ain't gonna color!" It's a preference one is wise to heed!

I've wanted to try Worldle for a long time. Fun! Here is a wordle based on a blog post I wrote entitled "Credo," which means "I believe."
Wordle: Credo

***
This will be down to the wire just as the last Things were for me. Without the deadlines I would never ever do these Things!
***
I feel more than a bit wimpy choosing easy rather than useful generators. That's the down side of a deadline. I'm going to have to do one Thing a day, so I'm streamlining.

I think I remember hearing that one could spend hours on each thing or "as little as one hour." How could that be?

Though the generators I chose are just pretty pictures, I know from using the 23 Things blog and More Things wiki that the images you use really liven things up, and highlight important messages in a fun and memorable way. These would liven up any library communication, in-house or outside.

I love Emily Lloyd's "Shelf Check" srip. She's incredibily creative and perceptive. It would be fun to work in a library that used comics to communicate. My librarysystem is pretty formal -- I can'tvisualize comics being used here.

I found the ToonDoo site very clumsy to use. It wouldn't retain my search list of library cartoons. I would click on a cartoon, then not be able to go back to my list of search results. I had to redo the search over and over again. I ave to think it might have been me, but I looked diligently for the "proper" way to do this and didn't find it.

RE: ANSWER SITE

It's 12:18 a.m. and my son just asked me "What would happen if two black holes meet? Would they merge, implode, or devour each other?" We batted around a few ideas for a story he's writing, and used up my knowledge of physics in a nanosecond or two. "Oh, well," he said, "There's always wiki -ask.com."

24/7 availability! Answer below.
They used the coolest phrase to describe a black hole: "God divided by zero."

Nice.

Here's the answer:

Word on the street is that if two black holes collided, there'd be a bigger black hole. The ripples in space-time would be big enough to surf. Energy released in the event would be almost beyond calculation. This is an event you would not wanna see from the front row. Or maybe even the back row. It may not even be safe from the cheap seats.

First answer by Quirkyquantummechanic. Last edit by Quirkyquantummechanic. Contributor trust: 1131 [recommend contributor]. Question popularity: 5 [recommend question]


Further reading yields more detailed answers, plus links to science news RE: black hole research.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: