Sunday, August 24, 2008

Thing 8: Share your creations

One of the constant problems we experience at work is when people with no computer skills need to do something on-line. It really takes more staff time than we have to coach them through how to use a mouse, use e-mail, send attachments, etc.

It would be cool to set up an easy-to-access slide presentation with basic computer and internet use instruction. It wouldn't be the final answer, but it would be a start for people who are really struggling, and it would be more efficient and consistent than instruction depending on the time available to the library staff.

I know there are on-line instruction modules available that academic libraries produce, and that they may use more complex software, but even a set of screen shots might be very worthwhile.

The photo aps are fun, and would be an appealing marketing tool for the library.

I set up a Picture Trail "film strip" and it was amazingly easy. It was quick and worked the first time! I couldn't get it to post automatically to my blog, but the code was right there and the instructions were very clear. I'd recommend it to others, definitely!

I haven't gotten into digital photo sharing but I will do more now that I've used these tools.

eFolio

I was really pleased to see the eFolio. I had just been thinking about whether to try to create something like that for job applications. Cool! Now I can.

AFTER the rest of the 23 Things. Or as many as I can fit in.

I use a Word table to keep track of the books I read, for Readers' Advisory. I wonder if that can be imported to the database software? I may check on that later, too.

No comments: