Sunday, April 12, 2009

Thing 31: twitter

Cover of "Proust and the Squid: The Story...Cover via Amazon

I've had a great deal of difficulty mustering up enthusiasm for twitter. It interests me theoretically, and I enjoy sharing links for new sites I'm enthusiastic about, but I confess I don't have a social networking plan. I don't take many photos, or look for new music, and I'm between jobs, so I don't have a lot of breaking news to report.

I find that my focus on 2.0 aps winds into a narrower and narrower focus on the immediate and trendy. It's fun, but it comes at the expense of reading, which both uses and creates slower, deeper thoughts. Maryanne Wolf's book, "Proust and the Squid," is about this difference in the way our quick reading of screen content affects brain development, compared to the way reading longer texts affects us.



I like the ability to post to Library Thing from Twitter. I tried to add the twitter Facebook ap but there was some sort of glitch--"try again later."

It was good to read the "What is the point of twitter" article. The author made a good case for twitter.

I guess I'm in stage two, presence. I'm in, I'm game, but I haven't it my stride.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: