Wednesday, April 8, 2009

INTERMISSION

The 1574 version of the original University se...Image via Wikipedia

What a long strange trip it's been!

I got a long term sub position in December which was supposed to run until May, but regular employees got laid off and in the ensuing shuffle I lost my job after only six weeks. I was able to jump into another short term job, scoring reading and writing tests, which lasted three weeks. Now it's my first week of no-work. I have a job again in May, and will look for librarian shifts in April. The stress of change on change, and the scramble to find work, have drained my enthusiasm for this project.

I've gone through technology changes, too. I bought an ASUS EeePC Netbook, which I love! I bought a wireless mouse for it, which I can't get to function (still hoping), so I took the mouse from my 10year old Grande Dame iMac. I went to the library to get a good wireless connection and somewhere along the way, lost the USB plug-in for that one. Next I resurrected the emergency, I-hoped-I-'d-put-this-mouse-away-forever mouse, which works intermittenty, with much shaking and cussisng.

In the meantime, I've gotten better at using the touch pad, but the keyboard is about 3/4 of the standard keyboard size, so touch typing has been difficult. The netbook is built for surfing the net, not for exended writing. I could touch type with one hand, but the other didn't fit, so I would hunt and peck with the other hand. Then I would go back and laboriously correct all the typo's that still occurred.

Meanwhile, we updated to wireless internet (hurrah!), and in that transition, something went awry with my old DSL hookup. All of this led to much procrastination in blogging!

Today was do-or-die day, and I am now using the iMac keyboard plugged into the netbook. Despite this awesome technology/generation gap, nothing exploded. (A second hurrah!) The most serious consequence is that I had to move off the comfy sofa. I'm now using the dining room table for its obvious purpose--desk and office. The sofa was getting too cluttered with books and papers anyway.

Cleared for lift-off. Hurrah!
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: