Saturday, February 28, 2009

Thing 27: Twitter

The reading I did convinced me that Twitter is a good tool in many situations, but it didn't convince me that it's a good tool for me. Instead, it left me feeling that I need to get a much more exciting life!

"What I'm doing now," is usually not that exciting! Most of the time it would be, "Messing around on the computer." OK, so that's too literal, but at work, I don't get much desk time, and at home, I have a terribly old slow computer, so when I'm on the computer at all, it's usually because I've made a point of staying after work to -- wait for it -- mess around on the computer!

Helene Blowers' depiction of the new digital divide (see previous post, "From Players to Guides") surprised me! I feel like I'm chasing after the new social media as fast as most people I know (Clue #1: do I mostly know people my own age, the Wrong Generation?), but I am nowhere near the "right" side of her digital divide. I'm still struggling way back at the starting post with being able to afford a newer, faster computer, which I could use at home, and on which I could play, as Helene would have us do.

OK, I think I've ranted that same rant already, sorry, but it's a big issue. The old digital divide still exists!

To return to Twitter: there is a great difference in Tweet value in the people I decided to follow! Many of them I will promptly un-follow. I'm curious to know what my fellow Thingers found valuable.

2 comments:

Deborah said...

I'm with you--I don't know if my life is exciting enough for Twitter. Changing my Facebook status every couple of days is one thing, but Twitter seems like it demands more frequent updates. If I continue to use it, it will probably be just to follow others for news, etc. (But is that going against the intended, social, use of the tool? And if so, does it matter?)

Lydia Schultz said...

I agree with you about Twitter. One of my friends said she wants to type "I'm sitting at my computer typing instead of doing anything else." She's got a point.

I'm also finding that a lot of the sites the librarian and tech people are pointing out are blocked at my school as "hacking tools."

Sigh. Still, it is fun to learn these things. Even if it is only to say, nope, not for me.