Monday, September 1, 2008

Thing 17: ELM Productivity Tools

I struggled to get an RSS feed to Google Reader but did not succeed. I couldn't figure out how to edit the text of the subscription to remove the proxy feeder info. Are you supposed to edit it before you add it? Once it was added I couldn't find a way to change it. I was stumped.

I downloaded RSSOwl and was able to edit the feed text and successfully survive. Now there's a Freudian slip! I meant "successfully subscribe!"

There's a lot of time and poking around represented in those six sentences!

I'm pleased to discover this tool! I try to keep up with the research on Asperger's Syndrome (a high-functioning form of autism) but there's a lot to keep up with! The ability to get a weekly or even monthly feed from Academic Search Premier is fantastic.

I did the challenge of creating a web page, and how cool is that?!

With the ability to save searches, could a library set up some standard searches for people to use? I don't know if the folder access would be a problem.

When I'm on the reference desk and meet people with an ongoing interest in a subject, I'm going to tell them about setting up a feed. I also want to see if there are topics that should be added to our Library Substitutes wiki, either as saved searches or feeds.

I repeat: how cool is that!

No comments: