Sunday, June 14, 2009

Thing 42: Music 2,0--Everything's amazing, nobody's happy

I was grousing that Pandora wasn't all I wanted it to be, and my son called me on it, saying, "Everything's amazing, nobody's happy." He was quoting comedian Louis CK, shown here on Late Night with Conan O'Brien, riffing on rotary phones vs. cell phones, wireless internet on planes, and flight delays.







I tried Pandora. Somehow I had gotten the idea that you could input multiple songs, and Pandora would find common characteristics. So I was disappointed to find that wasn't so. I had posted "Taylor, the Latte Boy," to Facebook, and it came up in Pandora when I logged on, so I started a channel from that. I like musicals, but not THAT much, so I wanted to enter another song, but on the same channel, to add some more data to the Genome Project -- but it was not to be.

I listened to an "All 80's" station which had the added interest of being from the U.K. Definitely out of my regular listening routine. I was surprised at how many of the songs I didn't know! A different set of hits!

I was one of the many heartbroken "Morning Program" fans who migrated to Heartland Radio when the Morning Program went off the air. It's not the same, though. He's clearly broadcasting to a smaller audience, which seems like a club I'm not part of.

I enjoyed this Thing and look forward to listening more.



Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had the same frustrations with Pandora as you (and the repetition was annoying). I recently discovered Slacker Radio (www.slacker.com) and haven't looked back.

They have some great Genre-based stations, but, you can also customize a station and easily add easily as many artists as you want to that station. Just enter an artist in the search and then click the "Customize" button and start marking the artist you want to add. You can also fine-tune your station by age, popularity, etc.

Hope you like it as much as I do.